Friday, October 28, 2011

Dating in Singapore

So there are many ways to meet new girlfriends here; bars, friends of friends or on an expat discussion website.  I have been checking these out for the weeks prior to coming to Sing and thought, "Do people really do that?"  Its like a personal add for friends.  Threads include 20 something crew, expat wives, new to Singapore, and so on.  I like to think of these as match.com for newcomers here.  I have always encouraged my friends to join dating sites so felt like it was time for me to put my money where my mouth is and started exploring the  match.com  of Singapore for some new friends.  


  I was a little scared reading some of the threads, much like my friends feel when exploring new mens profiles.  Then I came across a 29 American female, new to Singapore, stay at home wife, from Texas.  I have to admit I felt a little bit like a loser when I pressed send to reply to her message.  


So I am learning much like match, you find friends you are interested in and email them.  If they like you they email you back.  Next, you might exchange numbers and text.  Finally, you get to meet them in person.  Today was that day for me!  I went on my first friend date!  



 I thought for sure she would be crazy, weird, or that sake a large asian man who would kidnap me.  Shannon just moved here from Texas and was a teacher there too!  I was so surprised for my dating experience to go so well on the first try.   We met in a mall, a  large public place, important for a first date.  We had a coffee, saw a movie, and got a mani/pedi.  Great day!  Also, Shannon showed me around one of the grocery stores. 


Black chicken????




Tons of fresh seafood!

YAY for my first date and first new friend in Sinapore!


More happenings:
  • Greg and I went to a Greek restaurant for dinner where plates were smashed and people danced on tables.  Here is a very unclear video, but you can get the jist.

  • I will have my first chili crab tonight!  Its a Singapore specialty!
  • We have a couples lunch date tomorrow!
  • It rains everyday here.
  • Cabs are cheap.
  • In case anyone was worried, I am beginning to  adjust to the daily maid service.  Its been tough, but I think I will be ok. 





                                            

8 comments:

  1. So glad u and Texas went out...

    That "chicken" looks disgusting.

    How was Footloose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Footloose was cute! Apparently, a lot like the original that I didn't see. I think it would have been my favorite movie ever if I was 14!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog! Have fun tomorrow. btw - will there be a second date?! ;-) (Love the Match/dating references!) Enjoy!
    ~Laura Mullaney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the blog Hannah. What great memories ur making. I love that pool. I am so glad u are meeting friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay im a follower now!!! i love getting up everyday and seeing what you've put up each day!! i miss you but im glad i get to see what you're doing and seeing!!! love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading your blog Hannah ... you are now on my daily "to read" list ! Take care and have lots of fun :)
    ~Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the date! Sounds like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete