Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gucci and Prada, Hermes! OH MY!

Another adventurous day in Singapore.  I met up with Rach, the girl we had brunch with at the German place on Saturday.  Rach's husband and one of my co workers at PS 165 grew up together.  Ever since I was introduced to Rach via Facebook she has been extremely helpful.  Anyway, I started on the what should be thirty minute walk to meet Rach.  One thing you have to understand about Singapore are the underpasses.  You can't cross many roads from the street level and therefore have to go underground in the underpass. Guess what the underpasses are?  Thats right! A mall.  So while all I am doing is attempting to exercise and meet a friend for a two dollar cup of coffee I have Chanel bags, DVF wrap dresses, and Cartier diamonds all being shoved in my face!  It is very hard not to stop in these underpasses, just for a look.  So what is supposed to be a quick walk, usually turns into hours.


Anyway, back to Rach.  We met at Plaza Singapura, its the mall that first reminded me of mall madness.  We had a coffee and Rach took me to her apartment to show me around.  Greg and I are apartment hunting.  We will be in our service apt until we leave for the US in December  and plan on coming back to a  new place in Singapore in January.  


Rach on I on my first ride on the MRT!  
After seeing her lovely apt, Rach and I headed off to the Thai area.  I am not sure if it is an area or just the one big shopping center we were in.  To get there we took the MRT, which is the local train or subway.  It was the first time taking it for me.  Everyone told me how clean and easy it was, but I wanted to go with someone the first time.  Rach taught me everything I  need to know about navigating the MRT.  The only tough part is knowing where to exit and not getting lost in the malls, bc they too are the entrances and exits for the trains.  The MRT is nice, much nicer than subways in NYC.  It is clean, air conditioned, and your phone works!   So, we get to the Thai area on the MRT and go to a grocery store.  People here love grocery stores.  Rach took me around and explained everything to me.  I probably said, "ooh, what's this?"  100 times. I need to know all this so I will have a head start at my cooking class Thursday.  Did I forget the mention Rach is Thai?  After the grocery we went for  a Thai lunch of soup, some type of basil chicken, papaya salad, and mango sticky rice.  Best Thai food yet.  


After lunch we headed over to Mustafa. Mustafa is a huge, and when I say huge I mean like four blocks long and five stories high, shopping mall.  Imagine a really big Target in Little India.  Mustafa has everything you could ever imagine.  Things here are much cheaper than in other parts of the city but you must endure the intense smells of the locals to get your deals.  I got some Bounty paper towels, plastic cups, face wash, baby powder, lotion, and soy milk for 54$ and that is a deal folks!


I took the MRT home all by myself where I found my grocery had been delivered and someone in my apt complex had put them away!  I told you the service here is tough to deal with.   After a quick trip to Jasons, the local expat grocery, for a few last minute items, I cooked dinner, had a glass of wine, and waited for Greg to get home.  Forgot to tell you, I got Monkey Bay on clearance for 18$  woo hoo!  I have figured out to keep up my lifestyle from home it is a base 30$  a day just in wine and calling cards.  Greg and I ate dinner, attempting to watch PR again, booked our trip to Bali, and passed out by 11.  

5 comments:

  1. You're going to Bali?? Oh I am so jealous! Your life sounds so much more fun an exciting than mine right now... Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. *CHANEL*
    2. So glad u found Monkey Bay on clearance!! yay!
    3. Please call me .. I have been watching too much OWN network at night and it makes me miss u alot :(
    Love u much

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be some VoIP phone service you can use in Singapore? In the US there is Ooma (saw it at Seattle Costco last visit) and here in Oz there is Engin & MyNetFone. We use Engin, for $20/mo it includes unlimited calls to the USA. There is not alot required to set one up and sounds like it would be just what you need?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. the underpass malls sounds sorta like what they have in Vancouver, BC. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ceresa, I miss you! Hope the job is going great! Annie, i will call you tonight. I have class at 10 so it will have to be early. Susan, Greg is working on getting that phone but he is doing it through work which seems to take ages. For now i will just stick with my daily trips to 7 11 for my phone cards. Thank you so much for all your info!

    ReplyDelete